Saturday, September 08, 2007

Dinner in the Boma

Dinner is a big affair at these lodges. You can come in casual dress, but this one night, when we got back from our evening game drive, one of the lodge employees was taking advantage of the mild weather. She was wearing a pair of cute strappy sandals.

I was grungy, unbathed, and on day 4 of the same socks. I'd had it. I decided to break out the one thing that I had frivolously packed: my cute gold wedges. Take that strappy sandals girl!

We made our entrance into the Boma, which is an outdoor area that was historically used to trap animals (I guess in a sense it still is). They had it beautifully lit with fire pits and torches. The food was very good and the wine was even better.

Unlike our first lodge, the Rangers here stay with you through dinner acting as host. Chris was a good dinner companion for us. Anne and I were joking with him about his schedule: 40 days straight of work, then 10 days off. Later, we considered that this might be the perfect job - doing what you love to do every single day, then getting a couple of weeks off every month or so. But then Anne shone the harsh light of reality on the issue: "Yeah, but it's 40 nights in a row of client dinners." Yeah. Strike that idea.

Matching jackets. Awwww.

Too bad you can't see my shoes. They are fab.

No comments: