Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge

11 August 07 (according to my journal)

When we arrived at Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge, we were surprised because we couldn't actually see it. According to the website: "Earth Lodge is a sanctuary symbolising a new era in luxury South African safari lodges. Sculpted into a slope of the earth, almost invisible in the landscape, the lodge uses texture, light and space to present a lodge like no other. Taking its cue from the surrounding environment, it has been described as the most environmentally sensitive lodge in Africa." And how. It's a very special place. My pictures don't do it justice.



Late lunch at Earth Lodge

This lodge is also run by a couple - the gorgeous Stephan and his equally stunning (and very pregnant) wife, Nadia. Our suite (again, a private structure- we started referring to them as chalets) was gorgeous and comfortable. It was set off a ways from the main lodge, so they drove us there in a golf cart. Since the suites are built into the ground, I was worried that it would be like a cave - I was wrong. Floor to ceiling glass windows make up one whole side of the suite, the side that overlooks the bushveld. A verandah with a plunge pool, Jetsons-meets-Flintstones bathroom with a deep stone tub and absurdly powerful shower, a decanter of port. Anne and I keep looking at each other saying, "Who do we think we are?"

Then we steal the soap.


The view from within our chalet

Anne outside #6

After lunch, we met our Ranger, Chris. He and our new tracker, Zeblon, would be taking care of us over the next two three days. Although our loyalties to Dean and Mampsie remained strong, we had to admit that Chris and Zeb made a great team. It was at Sabi Sabi that we saw our first lions (rounding out the Big 5).

Female lions scoping out the territory

The crazy things nature does. Two trees that have grown together.


On our first morning at Sabi Sabi, our wakeup knock was at 5:30 am. This is my least favorite part of the trip. The time between the first shrills of the Blackberry alarm clock at around 5:20 to the overly chipper "Hello!! Good morning!!" of the wakeup knock to the time when I am feeling alert enough to brush my teeth (about 5:40) are just painful. It's dark and cold. I'm cranky and crusty and I consider telling Chris and Zeb to go scratch. But then I remember: we're going on a drive! So I put on my seven layers of clothing to guard against the winter chill, check to make sure I have fresh batteries for the camera, and it's all good again.


Chris and Zeb find leopard tracks. But they are a day old.

Female kudu

White rhino. Unusual because these are both males.

Blue wildebeest and impala. Frozen in terror, I expect.

Do these stripes make my butt look big?



The circle of life

Anne is struck with the urge to paint at Earth Lodge

Chris and Zeb, our heroes!

Sundowner drinks. That's my lucky leopard scarf!

No comments: