Sunday, October 22, 2006

Don't Mind If I Fondue

Wednesday, October 11

By the time our meetings ended on Wednesday afternoon, I was ready to collapse. I still had a trek ahead of me as I was going on to Basel after Zurich, but there was plenty of time for a good fondue.

A bunch of us took the train from the Uetliberg to Zurich main station (where Brendan and I stashed our bags) and ventured out into the heart of the city. Where we became almost immediately lost.

Luckily for all, I was not navigating this time and we eventually found the restaurant. Le Dezaley (no idea why it's called that) is in the shadows of a huge church. The staff were friendly, but a bit wary of the ragged bunch of Americans (plus one Columbian) who took over the back of the dining room and ordered 8 orders of cheese and beef fondue.

I guess we were making gluttons of ourselves: when one of my colleagues tried to order and extra appetizer, the young waitress sternly said, "No. You have enough." 'Nuff said.



When the fondue came, we realized she had a point. The vats of bubbling cheese and cooking oils were intimidating at first, but we held our own. By the end of the meal, we were all feeling a bit bloated, so we walked the long way back to the train station and saw a few of the sites by moonlight.





No comments: