Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Countdown Begins

I can't believe this is my last week on the job. It doesn't seem real. Partially because I am still running a little ragged trying to get stuff done. There is good news on several fronts:
1. They've hired another Australian to take my place (as if!). Smart, funny, etc. Not as pretty as I am, but the Japanese will have to learn to live with disappointment.
2. Social life is buzzing. Lots of people are lining up to buy me lunch, drinks, etc. Woo!
3. The gifts are starting to trickle in. Double woo!
Monday night I went to dinner with Dr. O who acts as a medical consultant for the agency. He's a pisser, that one. He's like everyone's favorite uncle, only less pervy. He had me giggling madly at the nicknames he has for everyone at the agency. My two favorites are Baki-Bu (a combo of a guy's name and "buoy" because he thinks the guy keeps all the other dead weight people afloat) and Tori Baba Hime (Old Chicken Lady Princess, which is not as mean as it sounds).
We went to a local tempura place, where I was served all sorts of unidentifiable sea creatures. Dr. O has one of those electronic translators, but I didn't recognize most of the words in English, either.
I love presents! These are from the Management Supervisor, from his hometown of Kamakura.

The thrilled cook at the tempura restaurant. Actually, he was very sweet, but he only had about three teeth. Hence, the grim look.
I still have no idea what kind of fish this is.

What are YOU looking at?

Baked fish spines, seasoned and eaten like chips. Not as disgusting as it looks.

No comments: