Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Night Out with the ExPats

I let myself sleep a little late on Saturday, but I knew I'd want to sleep all day Sunday so I forced myself out of the apartment in the afternoon to check out the shopping in Ginza and Roppongi.
I met up with Naoko and her friend Ayako early for a glass of wine and girl talk. Naoko lives in a tiny flat in a cute neighborhood in Ebisu. She claims to have chosen the apartment because of its close proximity to the clubs in Roppongi.
Later, I met up with the Aussie, the CD, and a few other ex-Pat advertising people for dinner at a place in Nishi Abazu called Rice Terrace. They were all there before me, so the CD met me on the street with a vodka and tonic. Now, I normally don't like tonic in my drink, but people, let me tell you, it was the pause that refreshes. It became my drink of the night.
The dinner conversation was fast-paced and irreverant which made me miss New York even more. Most of my conversations in Japan have to be slow and simple. I miss the rapid-fire discussions that are part of my day to day life at home.
After dinner, we crammed into a cab and went to the Soho Club in Omotesando. The CD claimed it was "the hottest" club in Tokyo, so it was great that we had secured a reservation. Oddly, it was almost totally empty. It was less of a club than a bar, cool atmosphere and good music, but no dancing. You can't have a club with no dancing.
After the group dispersed, Naoko, Ayako, and I headed off to Club Muse for a little dancing. At about 3:00 am, I decided to call it a night. I got into a cab, but the other two went to another club. Kids!

The Ex-Pat Gang

The Rice Terrace, Nishi Azabu

Soho Club, Omotesando CD attacking the girls

This is a totally candid shot.

Again, totally candid.

Almost caught him not mugging for the camera.

With Ayoko at Club MUSE. She spilled a full beer on me moments later.


Club MUSE, out way too late.

No comments: