Friday, October 21, 2005

More About Nara

Blogger has been very temperamental this week (bastards!) but I have a few other tidbits about my trip to Nara.

I think I've learned just enough Japanese to be dangerous. On Sunday, I stopped into the local tourist information center to get a map and a restaurant recommendation. The guide directed me to a place that is one of his favorites but first he called ahead to see if I could get a table. As he chatted with the person at the restaurant, the only words I caught were: gaijin (foreigner), josei (woman), and hitori (alone). Nice.

Lumay has mentioned Japanese coffee a few times, recommending it because it is supposedly charcoal-roasted and delicious. I have to say, I have asked almost everyone I've met about this coffee and no one has heard of it. Coffee is really big in Japan (there's a Starbucks or at least a Starbucks clone on every corner), but tea is really more their specialty.

Imagine my surprise when I passed a coffee shop with a huge sign: KOHIKAN: Charcoal-Roasted Coffee. I had to go in. Long story short: it tasted exactly like coffee, only more expensive (see photo below).


Daibutsu-Den: Great Hall of Buddha
This guy is huge.
Kofukuji Temple which has the distinction of being the 2nd tallest pagoda in Japan

Feeding the Deer in Nara Co-enCharms for sale in the temple

Isuien Garden This cup of coffee cost $6 USD. No free refills.

1 comment:

AuntJudyB said...

I'd like a charm for a partner as well as the one that protects you from misfortune. I think I already have "various relationships with others" and could do without that, thank you!