Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Grand, Really Grand

Over the last week or so I've been packing up my stuff, getting rid of things I don't need to bring home, giving away books, and boxing up the things to send home. In the end, I filled 6 medium-sized boxes and one suitcase.

I did some research (OK, I made someone else do the research. I'm busy.) and it seemed that SAL would be the best way to send back the boxes. I originally wanted to send it via "Sea-Mail" which is literally the slowboat, but it takes minimum of one month, and I got mixed reviews on the condition of the boxes when they arrive.

Little did I suspect that the shipping costs would total a little over $1000 USD. Cash only. My host company here in Tokyo has been strange about any costs that I incur. They make me pay for everything, so sending it through the company wasn't an option, even though they could bill it back to NY.

Honestly, I am not down with forking over a cool grand without getting a great designer bag or some illegal substances in return. (Kidding, people. You know I don't buy designer bags.)

The Aussie was shocked to hear that I had paid that much money. He said, "You need that money for your trip to Australia." Then he promised to make the company pay me back tomorrow. Yea!

1 comment:

Gina said...

Wow! I can't believe you're leaving Japan already. Colleen-san, they hardly knew you. Oh, did you learn patience? Just curious...