Sunday, October 23, 2005

Pampered Princess

The end of the week was such a relief. I had given the last of my Advertising 101 presentations and delivered a brand plan to my client. So, I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure at a place called Ami True Nail. It was my first, last, and only treatment of its kind in Japan, not because it wasn’t fabulous, but because it cost $125 USD.

In NYC, the mani/pedi can be had for a song. Competition is fierce, so there’s always a bargain to be had. Not so in old Nihon. I’ve asked most of the girls where I should go to get my nails done and they looked at me like I had just told them I was thinking of running naked through the fish market. One of them actually offered to do my nails for me. That was a little too close for comfort, so I’ve just been doing them at home. The results are poor. A nail technician I am not. Don’t even get me started on the eyebrows. I am starting to resemble Eugene Levy. How I miss my local hole-in-the-wall salons.

But today I am mani’d and pedi’d and feeling fine.

On a side note, this is a picture of the sign outside the ladies room in a department store in Ginza. I was sort of excited to see the bathrooms based on this grandiose sign. It didn’t live up to the hype.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I've been meaning to tell you that you need to get a haircut in Japan. The best shampoos and massages were the ones I got at Japanese salons in NYC. I can only imagine that the indulgence is all the greater in the homeland.