Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Dark Mood

July 16

Last Thursday morning, around 9:30 AM, a building collapsed in my New York neighborhood. No one was killed, but 5 people were injured and it was a terrifying way to kick off the morning for everyone involved. My friend and roommate, Joanna, sent me an email from her Crackberry (TM, Annie B.) at around 10:30 AM (11:30 PM, my time). It was so weird. Looking at the pictures of the demolished building on my computer, while also watching the continuing coverage of the London and Iraq suicide bombings, I felt sick. The London bombings didn’t seem to be a big topic of conversation here. Then again, how would I know? I brought it up at lunch one day and everyone was as shocked and appalled as I was. They also told me that the Tsukiji subway, near the office, was one of the ones involved during the Tokyo subway terror attacks in 1995.

A very dark mood, indeed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You dueling poets! I love it!!