Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Getsu-Yobi, Getsu-Yobi (Monday, Monday)


July 4, 2005
9:10 AM

First day at work. The hours are 9:30 – 5:30, but I decided to come at 9:00 just to make sure I wasn’t the last person to arrive. I’m feeling very neurotic about how the Japanese will perceive me. I am the first to arrive (small victories!)

Yesterday (Sunday) was a really nice day. It was cooler than it’s been so I decided to venture back out. I went back to Ginza because I wanted to use the ATM and also because it’s the only place I know how to get to. I was worried that I didn’t have enough gifts for the office because my UPS boxes haven’t arrived. I found a cute shop that sells very pretty notebooks and provides free gift wrap (score!) so I stocked up.(Picture of a cute house in my neighborhood).



I visited one of the department stores (depato) that has a big food court on the ground floor. They sell everything from pre-made salads and sushi platters to whole fish, meats, and chocolates. When you walk into a Japanese store or restaurant, the workers call out “Irashemase!” (welcome!). At this store, there we so many of them that it sounded like a dissonant orchestra. Alarming, but cool.

Last night it started to rain, biblically, and it hasn’t stopped. Luckily, I only have a 5 minute walk from the apartment to the office. My jacket and shoes were soaked (I need my WelChol umbrella! Damn you, UPS!) but for now my tiny travel one will have to do.


LATER— 10:00 PM
I feel more relieved because it turns out that this office operates just like RCW… organized chaos! Once people started to arrive it became clear that the agenda for the day was already shot. They were preparing for a major client presentation (in English) and were running around like crazy. I spoke to the President and he was very pleasant. I tried out a few more phrases on him (that I’d STUDIED over the weekend). “ohayo gozaimasu” (good morning!) and “ii ana otenki desu, ne?” (bad weather today, isn’t it?). He was mildly pleased, but not impressed. But he was very nice to me in the conversation and just asked that I speak slowly and be patient. Clearly, not my strong suits. (The Pres is here on the right with the other Pres, confusing, isn't it?).




I was able to help out a little today by proofreading the English presentation. Afterward I met with my supervisor (a Management Supervisor) and one of the account executives. They haven’t actually hired an interpreter for me. They are making AE do it in addition to his other jobs (typical overextended account person!) This guy went to college in western Illinois, so his English is really good. The poor guy has been following me around all day. (He's the frazzled looking one in the attached picture).



The Management Supervisor seems very smart and he is very elegant. Very much an advertising person. But he’s not comfortable speaking English, so we haven’t spoken directly very much. We went to lunch for sushi and udon (broad flat noodles). BLISS! My first real meal in days! Oishii katta! (It was delicious!)

Lots of meetings and introductions. By 5:30 PM I am exhausted. Minori-san took me to a small shop to buy things for the apartment to help organize my stuff. It was like a dollar store. Actually more like a “ten dollar” store.

Later, I almost burned down the apartment building. I tried to cook dinner for myself, using a frozen skillet-type dinner. I definitely misread the instructions (which, in case you haven’t guessed, were all in Japanese.) There was a lot of smoke and a bad smell. I ate it anyway as a lesson knowing my strengths and weaknesses. I think it may be time to resurrect the “Colleen Can’t Cook” show.

No comments: