Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A New Dawn, A New Day

July 26
Tuesday

When I got up this morning, I decided that I was going to give Japan another shot. The rain was coming down, so for the first time since I’ve been here, I wore jeans to work. I felt like myself and it felt great. When I got to the office, everyone asked about my trip to Kyoto. I told them how great it was and avoided the topic of Osaka all together. I spent the day just organizing my work and personal stuff. There was a rumor (well, it wasn’t really a rumor since I heard it from the president) that the office would close at 4pm due to the typhoon. That made me a little nervous, because these people work like dogs. This typhoon must be serious. Not to worry, though, because 4PM came and went. The rain didn’t seem very threatening and everyone kept their asses planted.

My friend Yuki invited me to a party on Saturday night to watch fireworks at her friend’s apartment. I’m excited to get out and meet some new people. Plus, it’s sort of a theme party. Everyone will be wearing yukata (summer robes). Yuki offered to lend me one of hers. After work, Yuki asked me if I wanted to have a cup of coffee with her. Sure I said, let’s go. We walked down the street, chatting. When we reached our destination I glanced up at the sign: Starbucks. Ladies and gentleman, #6.

4 comments:

Gina said...

During my year in Seattle, I spent many months temping at Starbucks Corporate HQ. At the time, the were prepping for the opening of their *first* store in Tokyo. For the sake of your mental health, I'm glad the coffee devil has expanded so rapidly. Do be sure to try a traditional charcoal-filtered japanese coffee -- out of this world!

Unknown said...

You've got me reflecting on my Starbuck's afternoon in Tokyo. I thought I was sooo clever ordering "kori kohi" (iced coffee, right?) Of course when I got it, it was "atsui". When I questioned it, out came the laminated, giant-sized photo menu for idiot Americans to point and pick. hmph.

Unknown said...

Speaking of Katie and Alex and their supersonic blog, is anyone else concerned that Katie seems to be studying some sort for some sort of medical career? Hopefully it involves microbes or cows and not humans.

Thanks for the encouragement!

MsYvone said...

Hi Colleen, I met you years ago when Gina was living with you (Deb from PSU) Love your blog, what a fantastic thing, being able to live and work in another country. I'm so envious!

The weather in Kyoto sounds like the weather here in Atlanta. hot and humid. The getting lost in Osaka reminded me of my search for a hair dryer in Paris... they didnt go over what the word for hair dryer was in french in class...thank god I can draw.

~ Doug T, I watched that Good Times Marathon too!