Friday, July 08, 2005

Like School in the Summer

July 6



The big event for the day was my first Japanese class here in Tokyo. Minori-san found a local class offered FREE for beginners who live in the neighborhood. She walked me there after work to make sure I wouldn’t get lost (I would have). On the way, she said, “Colleen-san look so tired.” So much for my youthful glow.

There were many of us in class, but also many teachers. I had a one-on-one lesson with a 47-year old woman named Ikeda. Ikeda-san didn’t speak any English at all, so our two hour lesson was more like a really long and boring game of charades. I have a new found sense of empathy for illiterate people. The head teacher gave me a workbook so I could practice hiragana and katakana. It cost 200 yen (about $2.00). I felt ridiculous. Ikeda-san ended up being really sweet and we decided to continue to work together over the next few months. We even made a plan to meet for dinner in the neighborhood one night. I think our conversation will probably revolve around how delicious everything tastes, which is the only thing I know how to say, but it will be nice to socialize with someone.


UPS update… apparently my packages are riding around Tokyo in the back of a truck. Minori-san helped me by calling the manager of my building. He promised to sign for the packages if they ever arrive.

2 comments:

Doug T said...

“Colleen-san look so tired.”? That's about the funniest thing I ever read.

DANIELBLOOM said...

U: ''The head teacher gave me a workbook so I could practice hiragana and katakana.''

ME: Hi Colleen, surfed into your blog by happenstance. Cool. I was in TOKYO 1991-96. Loved every minute. Now in Taiwan. From Boston. In Asia since 1991. Love it.

Email me at: reporter.bloom@gmail.com

I have some things to tell you about learning hirgana. To make it fun.

What's your job there, and how long will you stay?

Ja neh...

Danny

http://hiraganasong.blogspot.com