Saturday, July 02, 2005

Getting My Feet Wet


Friday, Later --

When I got through customs, I found a woman holding a sign with my name on it. There was a car waiting for me to take me into Tokyo from Narita Airport. Thank god the car was there. My luggage was so heavy; I never would have made it on the train. When I got to my apartment in Tokyo, Minori-san was waiting for me. She got me checked into my apartment (“apato”), which is the tiniest place I’ve ever been in. I feel like David Blaine. It’s cute, though, and very clean. However, I brought too many pairs of shoes. There is nowhere to put them!(Picture of my building and the view into the apartment from the door.)




Minori-san took me for a walk all around the neighborhood and also took me into the office. I had my first taste of things to come. I met a few of the key players there, including the president who told me that I’d better work on my Japanese greetings over the weekend. I had just wowed him with the three phrases I know. Apparently, my performance was lackluster. Then again, his English wasn’t so great. Maybe he meant, “Your prettily accented Japanese has charmed us all! You’ll be a big hit when I introduce you to the rest of the staff!” Yes, probably that’s what he meant.

In other news, my ATM card doesn’t work in any of the 6 local banks I tried (Damn you, Chase Manhattan, you dirty liars!). And very few of the businesses in my neighborhood accept credit cards. Stay tuned…

No comments: