Tuesday, July 12, 2005

World's Greatest T-Shirt

July 10

Sunday morning and I decided to go to the gym and then on to Roppongi in the afternoon. Not much to report except that I bought yet another book that I hope will help me communicate with my Japanese hosts: The Original “Point and Speak” Phrasebook. Joyce gave me a similar, pocket-sized version called “Point It!” before I left. Oh, how we laughed. This book, while childish and embarrassing, may actually be very helpful. But, is it just me or does the pointing character look disturbingly like the Zoloft blob? (see attached).



I thought I’d take this space to note a few of my other observations so far about Japan and its native people.

1. They don’t eat or drink while walking in the street or on the subway trains or platforms.
2. They don’t seem to jaywalk. There may not be a car for miles and they’ll stand there until that “walk” sign lights up.
3. Two words: sweat towel. Most of them have one.
4. As previously noted, many of the women here wear dangerously high heeled shoes. It should also be noted that they often wear shoes that appear to be a half size too small. I’ve noticed that some women, otherwise teeny, tiny, miniature humans, have swollen feet spilling out of too-tight shoes. (Kurt, add this to your list of head-scratchers about the shoe issue).
5. Air conditioning: it’s the bare minimum. Usually in the office environment, the AC makes it uncomfortably cold. Not so much here. I am never cold in the office; sometimes I’m hot. Despite this, most of the women in my office walk around with sweaters and long-sleeve shirts on all day, indoors and out. However, contrary to some beliefs, they do wear open-toe shoes and few wear pantyhose.
6. I’ve seen a lot of people wearing “message” t-shirts in English. Some of them of hilarious including:
* Most Wonted
* Bitter Sweet Lollipop
* Fuck Milk Got Pot (I’ve seen this one in the US, but it was funny because it was on a girl who was being interviewed on the local news.)
* This is What the World’s Greatest Dad Looks Like (Again, commonplace in the US, but this one was on a very stylish young woman walking hand-in-hand with her boyfriend.)

No comments: