Sunday, November 27, 2005

Pet Peeves

Sometimes people ask me if I have any pet peeves. I always roll my eyes because, of course, I have about 10 million of them. I become peeved fairly often. In fact, one could say that, on occasion, I can be quite peevish.
 
One of my biggest ones is the constant need for people to monitor the weight of other people (OK,  the weight of me). Don't get me wrong, I like a good compliment as much as the next person, but "Wow. You lost a TON of weight!" doesn't exactly qualify as a compliment in my book. I get it, I'm not as FAT as I was last time you saw me. Thanks, but could we refrain from hyperbole of the 2,000 pound variety?
 
Think about it: what other physical "defects" do we feel as comfortable mentioning? When was the last time you ever heard someone say, "Hey Jill, your acne's really clearing up! You really had a pizza face there for a while." or "Wow, Bill, your formerly hooked and bulbous nose looks SO MUCH smaller! Way to go!" or "I gotta tell ya, Phil, whatever you did to get rid of that bad breath is really working. I mean, it could have knocked a maggot off a shit wagon. Keep it up!"
 
I could go on and on. Really.
 
I admit, if in fact I am defined by my body type, I am as guilty as anyone else for making that happen because it's so often a topic of conversation and something that I obsess over on a daily basis.
 
I'm just saying.
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

MsYvone said...

Dad's pet peeves were Women who went out in public with rollers in their hair, and red fingernail polish. Mine is rude people. Too bad they are in the majority these days. I'm sure I have a laundry list of peeves. will work on that.

Hows it to be back in the ole U.S. of A?

MsYvone said...

Hey Colleen, what's the deal with that Imaginary Socialite link? I must be really hick, cause I don't get it. What's the point of that blog?