Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Sayonara Party

Thursday Night
The company threw me a "sayonara" party at a place called the China Palace in Ginza. While the food was not my favorite, the mood was good and we had a lot of fun.

The people in the office were uncharacteristically emotional as they said their goodbyes. One of the office assistants actually cried. I had no idea they were so attached to your girl. Of course, maybe she was crying because I was standing on her foot.

There were gifts (yea!). The Pres gave me a silk cloth called a furoshiki. It is traditionally used for wrapping (before the modern handbag) and can be used for decoration, wall hanging, etc. He told me that it was made of kimono silk. Gorgeous. I also got an "earthquake warning system." It's a bobble head doll that you put on your desk and you'll know that an earthquake is coming because the head will start wiggling.

One of the coolest things came from the Creative team (of course). In Japan, everyone has their own hanko (stamp) that has their name on it. Hanko are used in place of a signature on official documents. The creatives gave me a set of three hanko with my name in each of the three Japanese alphabets (hirigana, katakana, and kanji). They are so cool. Each hanko comes in a small carrying case that includes the ink pad. Pictures will be added later as the hanko are already packed away. I just think it's such a uniquely Japanese gift and so personal!

On another note, it was revealed tonight (not so subtly) that one of the office assistants has a mad crush on the Aussie CD (maybe I should call him "Glossy"). She asked him if she could be his "number one girlfriend" in Japan! He was, of course, ridiculously flattered but also knew that he would be in for a world of trouble if he even considered it. But it was fun to watch!

The food.

The Pres, giving me a parting gift.

The office paparazzi trying to make a love connection.

Ami, my interpretor, with one of the office party boys.

No comments: