Saturday, November 12, 2005

“Sorry, You Overweight”

I was amazed that I was able to pack everything into 2 suitcases (1 big, 1 small), 1 shoulder bag carry-on, and a shopping bag that held the gift that Doug and I bought for our hostess in Sydney. When I got to the check in counter, the agent looked at me with a very worried expression. She asked, “Nihongo ga wakarimasu ka?” (Do you speak Japanese?) I replied, “Sukoshi.” (Just a little).

Then she said, in English, “Sorry, you overweight.” I realized that she was not referring to my waistline, but to the weight of my baggage. As stupid as it sounds, it never occurred to me that there would be a limit to the weight of my bags. I had double the amount allowed. The agent told me that I could pay for the extra baggage. The price: 77,700 JPY ($770 USD).

OK, plan B?

She gave me a box and told me to start emptying my bags. Picture this, friends: me, my luggage, and a huge scale in the middle of the check in area. About an hour and two misunderstandings later, I had consolidated my stuff into one suitcase and two carry-ons. Two small boxes were checked at the Narita long-term bag check to be picked up and dealt with during my 12-hour layover in Tokyo after my Australian holiday. By the end of it all, I was sweaty and plagued with fits of coughing. Before they let me through security, the agents asked me, “Daijobu desu ka?” (Are you feeling all right?) I was worried they might think I have bird flu and wouldn’t let me travel. But they let me through. I got to my gate just in time to board the plane.

No comments: