Monday, August 08, 2005

Another Sleepless Night

Sunday

I finally fell asleep at around 5AM for a few hours. Yuki texted me and invited me to dinner at her place, so I took a trip into Shinjiku to pick up something to bring with me. This was my second visit to Shinjiku and I think it might become my go-to place. I went to Kinokuniya to stock up on English-language magazines: Vanity Fair (featuring Jennifer Aniston – I am firmly “Team Aniston.” Damn you Brad Pitt!!), Vogue (Madonna looking fabulous), 2 issues of The Economist (I just like to feel smart), and Tokyo Journal (an English/Japanese glossy).

Yuki and I met near her house in Waseda, a small cute neighborhood about 45 minutes from where I live. Her place is a little bigger than mine, but still a shoebox. Dinner was really fun. Yuki has lived in several English-speaking countries and she has lots of stories and interests. She made her favorite meal: tacos!









When I got home, I was too tired to sleep, so I watched MTV until about 12:30. I was just about to fall asleep when I felt the start of ANOTHER EARTHQUAKE.

I think this whole trip is supposed to be a voyage of self-discovery and I’ve discovered something very important about myself. Earthquakes scare the shit out of me. I was so terrified that I just cried and cried. Sleep was not an option.

No comments: