Friday, August 05, 2005

Hi-Yo, Silver!

Thursday

After yesterday’s rant, I figured I’d try to keep myself busy researching and coming up with tactical ideas for the three pitches I’m (sort of) working on. Of course, we haven’t agreed on the key issues or a strategy for any of these projects, but why should I let that stop me? We have a meeting tomorrow (Friday) about two of the pitches, but I got conflicting input on what my role in the meeting is. So, I’m just gonna let it do what it do, baby.

About a week ago, the President of the advertising part of the company asked me to have dinner with him and one of the junior-level planners. Tonight, the three of us went to a type of restaurant called izakaya (typical Japanese bar & grill). It was fabulous; a very cool, rustic vibe, and very expensive.

The pres ordered for all three of us and the food came out in small courses. First, of course, beer to help us cool off. Then, a platter of raw squid (a little too salty for me), some sort of octopus stew (not bad, but not my favorite), candied walnuts (yummy, but why?), and a bowl of little fish that had been cooked in some kind of sugar sauce (delicious). After the first course, the pres suggested a flight of three popular cold sakes. When the waiter served them, he filled each glass right to the rim. My dinner partners explained that it’s customary to fill the glass so that the customer knows that they are getting the full measure of sake and in order not to spill, you “kiss the sake” by leaning down to the glass for the first sip. I looked this up on the internet and found no mention of it. So, if it’s not on the internet, it’s clearly not true. In any case, the sake was fantastic; very light and dry.

The next food course was basashi (horse sashimi). This was really a test. They were wondering if I would really eat horse meat. Silly, silly people. Don't they know I'll eat anything that doesn't try to eat me first? It was served in very thin slices with minced garlic and ginger. It was actually really good. But then I felt immediately guilty.

It sparked a very lively conversation about America’s romanticized relationships with horses. I’ve done an informal survey around the office, and despite the belief that the Japanese eat a lot of horse, most people said they think it’s gross.

After the horse, we had tamago with pork (like mini omlettes) and steamed vegetables. We finished the night with a ume shu (very sweet-tasting apricot wine). I usually don’t drink sweet liqueurs but this was fantastic. I loved it.

During the meal, I tried to politely suggest to the pres that I’d love to be more involved with the work that’s going on in the agency.

His response: “Really? Great!”

2 comments:

Doug T said...

My rule is that I eat anything I've never fed. Although, to be honest, I can't remember whether or not I've ever fed a horse...

Doug T said...

Interestingly, we were just having a discussion similar to the link you provided. With the recent news that Korea, of all countries, just cloned the first dog, the jokes have been flying fast and furious. And in reality, why is eating a dog or horse any different from eating a cow or pig?

That said, count me out.