Monday, August 08, 2005

Chick-Lit til Dawn

Saturday

This weekend was designed for maximum laziness. I didn’t plan anything. No trips, no parties, no excursions. I just planned on doing a whole lotta nothing.

So, it was good. I just went to the gym, picked up dry cleaning, blah blah blah. Later I did laundry and watched The Sound of Music on DVD. TSOM really might be my favorite movie ever. It just makes me happy.

But, (and you know, dear readers, there is always a “But”) right in the middle of “Something Good” there was a-rumbling in Tokyo. Another earthquake! I was sitting on my bed, thinking, what should I do? Get in the bathtub? Go to the basement? What had Kurt told me? Get under the bed? No, right beside the bed in case the ceiling falls in? It was horrible. It only lasted a minute and was clearly minor. After the last one, my co-workers told me not to worry, that if things weren’t falling off of shelves, it’s not “the big one.”

I tried to put it out of my mind. I checked the TV news, there was no coverage of it, so obviously no injuries or damage. So I tried to go to sleep. Forget it. I was wide awake.

Before I left for Tokyo, a friend gave me a copy of Bergdorf Blondes with a note saying it was “in case you need a taste of NYC.” I figured it was the perfect mindless read to take my mind off of natural disasters. I rolled my eyes through the first 3 chapters, but by page 80 I was determined to schedule an “alpha-beta” peel the minute I got back to NYC. I tried to go to sleep a few times, but was too freaked out, so I ended up reading until dawn. Was it worth it? Not really, but it was the only game in town.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I am so sorry about your reading material. I tried reading the insipid and trite "The Shop on Blossom Street", a title much loved by knitters everywhere. Ugh! Do you have an iPod? Do you have a subscription to Audible.com?