Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Translator Update

On Monday I hit the wall with this whole language barrier thing. I decided that I didn’t even want to write about it anymore because it was too ridiculous. But I emailed my NYC program coordinator to find out who would have to pay for the translation services if we were to hire someone. She’s looking into it on her end, but I also mentioned it to the Aussie. When I asked him how he was planning on dealing with the language barrier he basically said that he’s not planning on learning Japanese beyond tourist 101. He’s going to try to convert this office into a fully bilingual business. It will be interesting to say the least. The few ex-pats I’ve met so far over here have all agreed that it’s impossible to do business if you can’t speak Japanese. Time will tell.

But for now, he’s going to have someone available to translate and said he agreed that I should have someone too, or that we could at least share someone. When I got back from Kyoto today, he told me that he already started working on the translator for me and that we’d have a plan by Friday. Woo Hoo!

No comments: