Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Totally Unrelated Notes

Wednesday

Back at work today. Not feeling so great, but that’s boring. I decided to wear my glasses to the office for the first time. You can’t believe the reaction. It was like Clark Kent showed up. I was told recently that I shouldn’t wear my glasses to work because they “hide my beauty.” Apparently, I have a “problem with looking attractive.” But, actually, I think my beauty can sometimes be intimidating for some people. So I look at it as just giving the poor kids a break.

Hands down best part of the day: One of the senior guys gave me two tickets to a kabuki show! It’s not until August 27, but I am already so excited. I’ve been dying to check out the classical drag queens of Japan and now I’ll have my chance. I checked out the website for the show I’m seeing. An evil, begging priest! A beautiful servant! A prince in disguise! And it includes dinner! I cannot stop using exclamation points!!

On a totally unrelated note: I’ve been watching a lot of BBC World over the past five weeks, but I recently discovered that I also have CNN. What a difference. BBC World has shows about midwives in Africa and ultra-luxury sports cars. When they report the weather in Riyhad, they sound so... smart. CNN has spent the morning on the “Tennessee Manhunt” interspersed with shots of the Runaway Bride mowing lawns. I think switching back and forth is really keeping me on my toes.

On another unrelated note: I know I shouldn't be surprised by this, but Katie Couric and Peter Jennings are not famous over here. Can you believe I've found people who have never heard of Katie and her colonoscopy? It's like meeting pygmies in the heart of the Congo.

Stay tuned for tomorrow’s installment of Why Must Saints Suffer So?, or I Have a Toothache.

4 comments:

Doug T said...

I'M STILL WAITING FOR YOUR FIRST SUMO MATCH!!!!

Unknown said...

I will definitely do Sumo. The next tournament is in September. I am planning on spending the extra $$ to get a box that's so close that I might actually get crushed by a flying sumo wrestler! Living on the edge...

Gina said...

If you want to learn the secret of the patience of the Japanese, take in a Noh performance.

MsYvone said...

The only english speaking channel I could get in Paris was BBC World. I still think of the 14th Arondismont (sp?) when I hear the bump music into commercial. Did you know you can get the BBC World sound track on CD? And yay for CNN, we need every viewer we can get! ;o). If you were watching FOX, I'd have to disown the blog. ha ha!