Sunday, August 28, 2005

Birthday!

Friday was a busy day (for once). The Neverending Pitch ended today. I think. Hard to tell. There was a powerpoint presentation and a lot of bowing. So, I think that was it. I’ll be writing about that whole experience in another post. I have a lot to say on that topic.

But, more importantly, Friday was my birthday! Woo hoo! I told everyone I was turning 25. Who were they to argue? Doug called in the middle of the day to wish my a Happy Birthday. Thanks, Dougie!

After work, a few of us went to To the Herbs, a restaurant in Roppongi. Miki and Yuki were the ringleaders, Gerald/Gerard, “The CFO” (Chief Fun Officer), and Aoba, another girl from the office, came along. Lots of red wine and pizza – good times.

After dinner Miki, the CFO, and I went back to Heartland to meet Shindy. Shindy had already cased the joint to make sure the Wildcat was not around. Just before midnight, Barry called and I was able to give him the fashion update. Every once in a while, I see some really stylish people in Tokyo, but usually, there’s a lot of fug. I’m talking open-toe shoes with sandals (and, yes, I’ve seen the models wearing bobby socks with their strappy shoes in this month’s Vogue and Lucky. Not everything translates from runway to subway); unfortunate pastels, and a lot of too-tight, “I can’t admit I’ve gained a few pounds since college” get-ups. At Heartland, there was a gal wearing a pale turquoise (think Gram’s Miami housecoat turquoise) dress with a smocked bodice and a midi-blouse type dickie. Of course, pantyhose with sandals. It was at least 90 degrees.

Speaking of fashion, has anyone else had nightmare’s about the GAP showing gauchos for Fall? What on earth is going on over there? The models don’t even look good.

But, I digress. Miki and the CFO left to catch the last train, but Shindy and I stayed for another beer. Afterwards, she dragged me to a club called “911” which should have been called “Tailhook.” It was so mobbed that I never even saw the bar. We found some space near the VIP room. I thought about trying to talk our way into the VIP room, but I caught a peek inside and it looked like trouble. All very drunk Japanese businessmen. No thanks! An Australian guy started chatting me up, but we were soon interrupted by his very loud, very angry Japanese girlfriend. Fearing that she might start swinging, Shindy and I left the bar. But not before we were both felt up by a very drunk guy in a wheelchair. Kids today!

No comments: