Sunday, August 14, 2005

Kawagoe

Saturday, August 13

The tiny village of Kawagoe isn’t featured in any of my guidebooks, but it was mentioned in one of the weekly English-language magazines that are available at big stores like HMV and Tower Records so I decided to check it out.

Since you all already know my uncanny knack for getting lost, I won’t bother telling you about how I got on the wrong train and ended up in the suburbs. Let’s just say, once again, I relied on the kindness of strangers to get me going in the right direction. The article warned that the area around the station looked like every other commercialized area in Tokyo. I didn’t have a map in English and I couldn’t find the tourist booth, so I took a risk and just started walking.

I know what you’re thinking. But, I made it to historic Kurazukuri street with no incident. Unless, of course, you count the unscheduled stop into UNIQLO, Japan’s version of Old Navy. But I wouldn’t call that an incident.

Once on Kurazukiri street, I find a tourist info center. There were two old men there who directed me to “Confectioner’s Alley,” a tiny, crooked street lined with people selling all kinds of crackers, cookies, and other sweets. I trolled around for a while, sampling the treats. It's amazing what these people can do with rice. There wasn't a Snickers bar to be found. I bought a sampling of snacks to take into the office on Monday.

I ran out of time, so I didn’t make to any of the other tourist spots, but I did get to see the famous houses in Kawagoe. Many of them have survived for over 100 years due to their virtually indestructible clay walls and intricate rooftops.

Before I headed back home, I stopped in a little restaurant that was so cute (see picture) to have a little unagi sushi.

No comments: