Thursday, August 04, 2005

YAKITORI!


Wednesday Night
After a very long day, I met my Japanese teacher and a few of her friends for dinner. Now, about these Japanese classes: there’s only been one. I had to miss one for the Aussie party and I missed a second one because I was feeling “heat sick” as they say over here. (Something to do with lunch consisting of a huge bowl of rice, a fried egg, and some sort of fatty meat. Yum. )The school is closed in August. But on that first night, Ikeda-san and I made a plan to meet for YAKITORI! I had no idea what that was, but I did know that Ikeda-san always wrote it like that in her emails: YAKITORI! I decided not to look it up. It’s more fun that way.

Ikeda-san brought three of her friends, all Japanese teachers. We had a great time and they were very patient with me. Turns out, YAKITORI! is meat on a stick. Not very exciting, but it tasted good.

In the middle of dinner, my mobile rang. I don’t have voicemail, so I checked the display and realized it was a number from the US! It was Judith calling to say hello. I scrambled over the teachers and almost broke my ankle trying to get my shoes on. But it was worth it to hear s familiar voice. (Thanks, JB!)

2 comments:

Gina said...

As much as I like Japanese food, there's a whole lot of it that is rather uninteresting. I hope you are eating plenty of unagi!

Doug T said...

Meat is always better on a stick. (!).

Glad to see you were so happy to hear from Judith. I called you and you put me on the back burner!