Sunday, September 11, 2005

Etchi Na Ojiisan

Unfortunately, I learned a new phrase this weekend: etchi na ojiisan (dirty old man). While I have joked often about the Chikan problem in Japan, my experience was limited.

In Kyoto, Joanna and I were waiting for a bus and a van pulled up right next to me. I won't give the gory details, but let's just say I saw more of the guy than I needed to. The worst part was that when I started cursing, yelling, and gesturing wildly at him, it only seemed to make it worse. Finally, we hid behind a tree. I was still cursing like a sailor and pointing at him, hoping to make enough of a spectacle that he'd either go away or a cop would show up. I guess once we hid behind the tree he gave up on us and drove away.

Note to any high-school aged girls who may or may not be reading this and who may or may not be related to me: Do as I say, not as I do. Don't drink, don't talk to strangers, and if you see a pervert, run like hell.

1 comment:

Gina said...

All of those years in NYC, and did you ever encounter an etchi na ojiisan?