Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Osaka Revisited

Monday
I went sightseeing on Monday morning with the Texans. They had a real tour guide and everything! I left them after lunch to catch the Shinkansen (bullet train) back to Tokyo. Duty calls...
Osaka castle.
A warrior's armor. Complete with fake mustache and goatee.


I paid three bucks to wear this outfit.



This was her idea. I swear.

Shitennoji Temple. Most of the original buildings have been destroyed by fires and war. These are mostly reconstructions.


Peeking out through an old stone marker. Shitennoji Temple.
One of the nice things about travelling with a guide is that I found out all sorts of things I hadn't learned on my own. Like you only tie up bad fortunes at temples and shrines.


Turtles sunning themselves at Shitennoji temple. Legend says that the turtles, after many years of hearing the prayers and chants at the temple, will become gods.



Negotiating with a dried fruit seller at the flea market at Shitennoji temple. His sales pitch was great: every fruit cured at least two ailments. I bought sugared almonds ("good for the face.")




Me with the Texans (and my luggage). Dotombori, Osaka.





Lunch- noodles again. This time udon with prawn tempura. Our guide said that this restaurant is also famous in Osaka.






Boarding the Shinkansen at Shin-Osaka Station.







What most people do on the Shinkansen.

The passing countryside.

No comments: